The Information Management team (IM) was designed to provide information management support, build procedures, guidelines, standards for data and information storage, processing and access as well as information technology solutions and products to SWALIM theme groups as well as its partners.Infrastructure capable of serving SWALIM's client service platform (CSP) was built. It includes;
- A client/server network infrastructure at the SWALIM office in Nairobi, fully equipped with internet, e-mail and secure access.
- A warehouse, including differentiated access levels for different workgroups, users, and partners/guests.
The Information Management Structure
Once field data is received by theme groups from SWALIM Partners and/or field activities, a metadata record is created. The IM team then processes the data and develops information products (making use of existing data/information). The information produced by theme groups is quality controlled and added into SWALIM data and information warehouse. The team then provides access to information products via the client service platform. Click here to view the IM Framework
Client Service Platform (CSP):
The client service platform consists of;
- A dynamic website
- A digital library for document search and dissemination
- SWALIM GeoNetwork for sharing of geo-spartial data
- Various CDs and DVDs
- The Somalia Dynamic Atlas and SWALIM Dynamic Atlas;
- Other information material such as newsletters, feature articles and brochures.
The Information management team has the role of ensuring that beneficiaries and partners of SWALIM receive;
- Training and capacity-building in data collection and information management;
- Access to highly developed, relevant information products and archives in a variety of formats through;
- Client Service Platform;
- The team also works closely with partners to collect spatial data and encourages partners to:
- Use data collection methodologies and information management tools developed by SWALIM;
- Regularly update SWALIM with data